If you are a person who uses a stair lift at home, always make sure that you are out of danger when using it. Likewise, being safe also helps you get the best out of your investment. Below are general safety tips for lifts.
- Make sure that the stair lift is parked correctly on the track for charging.
Most stair lifts are powered by batteries. Although there are lifts that continuously charge, there are those that charge only when the carriage is fixed at the top or the bottom of the rail.
- Change remote batteries regularly.
This is to make sure that the user can readily use the stair lift any time. It will also avoid any inconvenience for the user should the carriage is parked away from where the user is.
- Do not allow children to play with the stair lift.
Ensure that children do not have access to the stair lift. If necessary, consider a key-activated stair lift so as to avoid accidents.
- Remove the key whenever the stair lift is not in use.
This is to guarantee that the stair lift will not be used by anyone but the user. It will also prolong its lifespan.
- Always have a spare key.
Users, especially seniors, sometimes forget where they put their keys after using the lift. Keeping a spare key will help you avoid the inconvenience of looking for the user’s key.
- Have the lift regularly checked by a professional.
Proper maintenance of your stair lift will lengthen its lifespan. It will also ensure safety.
- Do not use the lift if one of its safety features stops working.
Call a professional if you notice that your lift is behaving strangely or if you see some signs of wear and tear. This will prevent additional damage or injury.
- If the stair lift is not working well, do not fix it yourself or fixed by a regular mechanic.
This could void your warranty or cause further damage to the lift.
- Install an alarm feature on the lift or, as much as possible, bring a mobile phone with you if you are going to use the lift.
Though it is unlikely to happen that the stair lift will fail while you are using it, it is still safe to be always prepared. You may push the alarm button or call someone on the phone for assistance if ever this happens.
- Do not overload the stair lift.
Stair lifts are designed to accommodate only one person at a time. Do not attempt to use it to carry heavy stuffs like furniture. These may fall over and might cause injury to you.
Proper usage and prudence keep one safe. Always check your stair lift to avoid accidents.…